About the branch
What was known as the Shelby Branch began in 1918 when the library was housed in old School No. 34. A new branch was constructed in 1965 at the current Shelby Street location. Following a major renovation, the branch reopened in 2011 as the Garfield Park Branch, reflecting the desire of residents to refer to the branch by their beloved and adjacent Garfield Park.